Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Breastfeeding And Pumping Favorites



 You wouldn't know it now, but breastfeeding didn't come easy for us. I was pumping the first three months home with Lily. (You can read about our story HERE.) I'm definitely not a professional, but I can tell you what products worked, and made life a lot easier at a time when everything gets very monotonous. Here are some my most favorites!






Breastfeeding And Pumping Must Haves





Medela Pump In Style Advanced - If you are wanting to bottle feed, engorgement relief, or going back to work, you will need a pump. At first some moms have trouble with baby latching on, and moving milk efficiently. This can cause milk not to come in. So a pump will help get things going for you. I recommend a double electric pump. Makes life a whole lot easier and faster. (Check with your insurance about getting one for free) 

Pumpin' Pal - These flanges are angled (genius) making it  WAY easier for the milk to flow into the bottles. Saves you from a ton of back pain. I didn't discover these puppies till about 3 weeks in, and that is a long time when you're exclusively pumping.


CAR ADAPTER - If it's a long trip, or on the way to work either way you don't have to worry about dead batteries. Oh yeah, people do it all the time! Just wear on nursing cover (or not) and go to town.

Medela Tender Care Lanolin - Although I couldn't use this in the beginning because I had open wounds and bleeding on the nips. It was helpful to rub a little bit around the inside of the flanges to help it slide better. Also, it can be used for chap stick and diaper cream in a pinch. I've heard coconut oil is amazing too!

Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags / Quick Clean Wipes - These might seem ridiculous, but when you need to sanitize ALL the pump parts for the millionth time that day you will be glad to just pop them in this bag for 30 seconds, and be done. The wipes are amazing for pumping in the car, or wherever you don't have access to running water and soap.


Lansinoh Breastmilk Storage Bags - These are the best and cheapest I've tried. When freezing milk it's a good idea to do so in small amounts, because when the inevitable bag tear happens. It's not as depressing if it's only a 2 oz bag versus a 5 oz bag.

Fisher Price Bouncer - Wondering why a bouncer is on here? Well, when you're trying to pump, and feed the (hangry) baby at the same time, the bouncer becomes your arms.  

Simple Wishes Hands Free Pump Bra - I cut holes in a few sports bras before I got this hands free pump bra. Life changing I tell ya.  


Tommee Tippee Bottles - I stressed so bad over what bottles to choose. What would cause the least amount of nipple confusion? What was more like a boob? Looking back I realize it didn't really matter a bottle is a bottle. I loved the tommee tippee bottles. Easy for Lily to have a nice big latch and only a few parts to clean! Woot! 

My Brest Friend - Pun intended! It has literally has been my best friend. It's so firm, adjusts to your size, makes it so easy to just hold your babies head, and have a free hand. (For all that guilt free social media time)

Bamboobies - In the early days its good for your nipples to get air so they can heal. It's not always ideal to be shirtless so these were perfect, and so comfortable with a bra. Super soft, breathable, and washable need I say more. 


Elle Macpherson Intimates - When I was pregnant my boobs were expanding by the second, and the last thing I wanted to do was buy new bras, and then later have to buy nursing bras as well.  So I just got these and they have been great for both. I have really love them. Still over a year later :)


Nature's Path Organic Instant Hot Oatmeal Tervis 24 oz. - Quick easy breakfast plus oatmeal and flax seed are great for milk production. Drink WATER!! When I would sit down to pump, I could always tell a difference in how much milk I got when I drank at least 8 ounces of water. Breast milk is made up of mostly water, so drink up! 

The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding - Many moms swear by this book. A friend gave it to me, and I used it as a reference guide. The La Leche ladies are breastfeeding gurus. kellymom.com is free and has all the answers to anything and everything.

American Baby App - In the early months I would go crazy trying to time Lily's feedings. It was also hard to remember which boob she finished on. So this app was really helpful it timed each feeding, and reminds you left or right boob to start with next time. 

Dr. Jack Newman's "All Purpose Nipple Ointment" - It's an anti fungal, anti bacterial, anti inflammatory ointment from the Gods. Get your OB to call it in before you deliver. 






No comments:

Post a Comment